Matador Network is seeking an Assistant Culture Editor to work remotely
Our Culture vertical seeks to inspire readers to travel through the lens of art, history, religion, tradition, and other forms of entertainment. We thrive to bring a sense of marvel and curiosity by showcasing the architectural beauty of Iran, the diversity of traditional dwellings around the world, or the magnificence of religious buildings in Russia. We keep art lovers informed about new museum openings and exhibitions; we dig deep at the intersection of pop culture and travel by creating trip-planning content such as a Game of Thrones-inspired road trip of Northern Ireland; and we send travelers on quests to learn more about bygone eras by recommending archaeological digs they can partake in or underrated African ruins they should check out. We talk about the significance and importance of religious celebrations such as Easter, Holi, Epiphany, and the fun that’s to be had at music festivals around Europe. Our mission is to help people push the boundaries of their own world by uncovering the beauty of what lies beyond it and inspire them to see it with their own eyes.
The Assistant Culture Editor will focus on growing the more “modern” half of our culture section: entertainment, pop culture, music festivals, and art exhibits. The editor should personally be a huge consumer of media, from the hot new series streaming on Netflix to blockbuster films to underrated documentaries to podcasts. They should have a keen interest in art and entertainment in all its forms and be able to write about it through the travel lens. What shows do travelers need to download before a long plane ride? What’s the ultimate list of filming locations Star Wars fans can visit? Who are the headliners people shouldn’t miss on the summer festival circuit? What’s the next street-art mural that’s going to blow up on Instagram?
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Assistant Culture Editor,” along with a link to one published piece centered on art, entertainment, or pop culture.
Daily job duties:
- Work directly with the Culture Editor on daily production.
- Collaborate with the Managing Editor and Culture Editor on long-term editorial strategy for the vertical.
- Assist the Culture Editor with larger editorial projects.
- Work directly with freelance writers, including fielding pitches, assigning, and editing stories.
- Source photography for stories either from freelancers, our stock photo account, or other sources.
- This position requires a significant amount of writing, and you will be expected to publish your own stories each week in addition to editing freelancers.
- Pitch multiple stories to the Managing Editor at weekly staff meeting via an online conferencing system.
- Be available for digital communication throughout the day on Slack and email.
- You will have the opportunity to represent Matador Network on press trips and conferences domestically and abroad, provided your other responsibilities are taken care of.
- Strong command of English language required.
- Personal interest in consuming a wide variety of pop culture required.
- Experience writing about culture and entertainment required.
- Experience writing about travel preferred.
- Experience editing strongly preferred.
- WordPress experience and knowledge of AP Style preferred.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices preferred.
Location: Remote, North America. New York preferred.
Hours: This is a full-time role as an independent contractor, with ideal hours being 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM or 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Monday-Friday. This is a mid-level position with monthly compensation.
About Matador Network:
Matador is the world’s largest independent travel website. Since 2006, we’ve redefined travel media by developing a global network of editors, writers, photographers, and filmmakers who’ve won numerous awards and pushed the limits of what’s possible as travel storytellers. Our passion for innovative, socially relevant, and spectacular content has made Matador the fastest-growing travel lifestyle brand on the internet and inspired partnerships with dozens of the world’s biggest brands and destinations. Our focus is on experiential travel, with an emphasis on culture, the outdoors, food and drink, lifestyle and wellness, family travel, and sustainability. With an unquenchable curiosity for the world and people around us, Matador is creating the travel network of the future. Join us.